So as we say goodbye to 2018 let us look forward to 2019 with anticipation and excitement for all the opportunities, challenges, and experiences it will bring. I heard it said once from a speaker that, “sometimes I win and sometimes I learn!” And that’s exactly how I feel about 2018!
This past year has been filled with so many exciting adventures, challenges, and incredible personal and professional growth. TW3 had it’s best year yet after 10 years online of helping others discover, develop, and monetize their lives. It also came with some teachable moments and lessons that I definitely want to build upon in 2019. So I thought it would be fun to list my top 10 lessons from 2018 I plan to build on in 2019.
10. Prosperity is the fruit of persistence. – One of the most notorious common things I’ve seen in the opportunity space is entre-junkies who jump from business to business looking for that magic pill, thrill, lotion, or potion that will make them rich tomorrow. After 10 years I’ve sold my platform to some folks 3 different times now. Why? Lack of FOCUS. SEE VIDEO HERE. One of the questions I always ask a prospective client looking for coaching and consulting is how many coaches, trainers, consultants, or courses have you taken in the past 2 years. If I hear of too many I already know what a potential issue may be. After 25 years being self employed and 10 years in this space I can say empirically, emphatically, and unequivocally PERSISTENCE IS THE ONLY BUSINESS MODEL THAT WORKS.
9. Speak to all, Share with some, but Sit with ONLY a few. – Time is the most precious asset you have in business and life. Guard it like it was all the gold (or reported gold) in Fort Knox. This means be discerning with who, what, when, and where deserves your greatest deposit of this precious asset. You DO NEED to sit with a few, but keep your radar up as to who, when, where, and how. Developing this practice will help you both personally and professionally. I credit this pivot I made in late 2017 and all of 2018 as one the leading drivers of my personal income growth.
8. Respond only to The Reasonable. – Doing business online is great. It’s the most scalable, diverse, duplicatable, and profitable business I believe a person could ever engage. However in the course of doing business you will run into what some would deem “interpersonally deficient” or “cognitively incongruent.” However you label these wonderful personality types here’s what I’ve learned. You don’t have to respond to them. Sometimes the best response is the absents of sound following their blathering drivel. I am reminded of a saying I once heard that admonishes, “never argue with an idiot, someone may walk by and not be able to distinguish between the two.”
7. B + B = C – No it’s not an algebra problem it’s the formula for success in any area of your life. Belief + Behavior = Consequences or Results. We show people our results from using our system, or what behaving with certain tools can yield a person. However those who struggle with a positive belief system never seem to last. You can train a person on what to do and show them the results of doing it that way, however their own beliefs are what informs, inspires, and molds their daily behavior. This coming year I am going to make it a point in every piece of content I produce to address a mindset or belief system that a person has to master in order to realize success. Otherwise good behavior is consistently undermined by a bad belief system which always pushes the desired results further and further away.
6. Love to Learn – This past year I’ve picked up a few new tech skills that are making my day to day life easier. This coming year I plan on scaling this activity. I want to take 1 specific tech skill each week and at least develop a cursory understanding of it each week. By the end of the year I want to be fairly fluent in PHP as well in order to automate more of my business and bring even greater value to my clients and members.
5. Stream More Video of a Face for Radio – This past year I started episode 300 with my first attempt of using video in a more integral part of my podcast. While this first run was rough I saw immediate results from doing so. There is just something about visually putting yourself out there as weird as it may feel because it helps promote, validate, and improve your message. This year we are continuing to invest in more equipment, furniture, and production assets to continue to improve the podcast and video streams. Consider this fair warning! 🙂 lol
4. Sharing the Stage – Another great change we made to the podcast this past year is having Lindsey and Reagan join. This has been the greatest change made thus far to the show. Reagan keeps me from sounding like the old guy and helps with all the behind the scenes work with quantifying live questions coming in. Lindsey helps me sound more coherent to people who are just starting in an entrepreneurial online business and provides great comical fodder for both Reagan and I to bounce off of. Who can forget her first segment on ways to manage your stress, wanting a journal to be able to feel, or asking her husband to inflate the car tire from his app. Consistent Comical Gold week after week! 🙂
3. Reducing Tools offered – When I first started out I thought every single tool I used on a day to day basis I should include in 1 if not all of my membership packages. What I learned is this can overwhelm people who are just starting out. So in the middle of 2018 it occurred to me that the old adage we preached in music theory and arranging still holds true, “less is more.” So for the past 6 months I’ve really stressed really only 4 basic tools and made a concerted effort in helping others master those. The results have been incredible. In the coming years I plan to build on this for sure.
2. Staying in my lane – I’ve taught this for years but in all honestly being an entrepreneur means you have to wear a lot of hats. However with the incredible growth we’ve had over the past 4 years I am really having to learn not to try and do everything. Yes at first you really have to but there will come a time in everyones business that growth will stop if they don’t learn what to delegate and what to do. And that’s very key. Some people hear delegate and try to delegate everything and who can blame them right? I mean the whole reason you’re an entrepreneur is because you want more time and freedom. However knowing what to to delegate, what not to, and when to FINALLY delegate other things is a VERY HUGE decision and process you have to master in order to grow. This year I feel like I am just starting to master a small portion of this. I want to continue this process as I can already see the HUGE PROFITS and benefits it has brought to the business already.
1. Personal Touch – Yes I am going to plug the upcoming conference AGAIN but I can honestly say it’s the greatest business investment I’ve personally made and am amazed daily at the continued benefits we see and hear about from other members. I LOVE PODCASTING and online business but NOTHING IS LIKE being with other like minded people, working with the same tools, and learning the same strategies. Out of 25 attendees we saw 23 of them have their business EXPLODE THIS PAST YEAR. Some of them went from new members and attendees to platform speakers and trainers this coming 2019 Conference. YOU NEED TO REGISTER AND ATTEND this coming years, You Are Worth More Conference. IT WILL BE THE BEST INVESTMENT you’ve ever made in your personal and professional business. Listen to our past few podcast to hear what other attendees said and are saying about this coming years conference.
Register for the conference now by going to worthmoreconference.com